Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Destination Dining: Komali


I like to try new restaurants rather than dining at the same old, same old.  A lot of people have regular haunts they frequent, possibly because the crowd shouts "Norm!"* when they walk in, or maybe they have found what they like and don't want to possibly squander precious dining dollars on a less than desirable outcome, like at the world famous Heart Attack Grill.  I am excited about an upcoming visit to Dallas' hottest new restaurant du jour, FT33, which has swooning patrons and raving critics in abundance.  I've never been so I am anxious to try it.
Yes, Chef Abraham is sitting on a nose
That being said, I do have an old standby that I find myself returning to quite frequently called Komali, a stylish neighborhood joint that proffers self-described Contemporary Mexican Cuisine.  Its location in an underwhelming strip mall (not far from a couple of strip clubs) belies its chic, urban sophistication.  The Chef/Owner is Mexico City born Abraham Salum, who also operates his wildly successful New American restaurant, Salum, right next door.

Will You Marry Me?

This is not a place you will find Velveeta Queso or Refried Lard & Beans.  There's a dreamy Cream of Poblano Soup that nicely warms ones cockles on a brisk, wintry evening.  There's a happy Red Snapper Ceviche redolent of fresh fish, bright cilantro and lime.  All hail the Albondigas, traditional Mexican Meatballs swimming in their own fragrant broth. But my favorite dish by far is Callos de Hacha, which is  Pan-seared Scallops with a Mixed Mushroom, Serrano Pepper, White Hominy & Tomato Salad.  I had it again last Saturday, and before diving in fork first I got down on one knee and asked for its hand in marriage.  The hominy was game but the scallops demurred.

Other Komali components worthy of mention are a coed squad of bartenders who are generous with pours and smiles, shy bus boys who invisibly whisk away dirty dishes, a soothing, understated but posh interior design, and an energetic, diverse crowd whose cheerful conversations bring the room to life without requiring shouting over them in order for one's bon mots to be duly appreciated by one's tablemates.

If you haven't been to Komali, I'd suggest you put it on your restaurant bucket list.  And if you do visit, look around because I might be there.  Just ask the hostess where you can find Norm.




*If you don't get this reference I envy your youth.